Saturday, August 27, 2011

Melting Hearts

First day in Malawi.

So I didn't quite bound off the plane as I had been anticipating. It was more of a sluggish walk, dead tired from not sleeping much (or well) on the plane and my body aching from sitting in the same position for two days straight. I was, however, totally and completely thrilled to be back in Malawi. As soon as the plane landed in the beautiful Warm Heart of Africa a foolish grin crossed my face. I couldn't shake it for the rest of the day. I felt oddly at home.

As soon as I stepped off the plane onto the tarmac of the runway I inhaled, taking a long, deep breath. What I smelled made my heart melt. I don't know how a land can have a smell, but Malawi has a smell. It's hard to describe. It's an earthly, rustic smell.. one that makes me think of open air and camp fires. It is the best smell in the world.

I made it to Lilongwe in one piece. Although I was anticipating a bit of trouble from the airlines, I had incredibly smooth travels. I was even lucky enough to have all of my bags arrive on time, and with nothing stolen from them.

I have unpacked in my adorable new apartment. I live in a studio like apartment this year and love it. I have pretty much recovered from my jet-lag and travels. I am now just gearing up to start work on Monday. Being back in Malawi and this culture has filled my heart to the brim with joy. I am so excited that I have one more year here. I can't wait to see what adventures await me.

1 comment:

  1. I sent out a mass email for support and about 3 people at work may make contributions to support your trip :) Glad you made it safely! Love, Love, Love you! Tracy

    ReplyDelete