Friday, February 25, 2011

What do you live for??

I just finished reading the book Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. This book has rocked my world a little bit. It has made me re-evaluate the way I approach life. I encourage all of you to read it, if you haven’t already. The section of the book that stood out most to me was a section on belief. It says:

Dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory. Living for something is the hard thing. Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition. We live for what we believe.
-Donald Miller

This quote made me really look at my life. What do I believe? I know I believe in God. I know I believe in loving others more than myself. I know that I believe that you should help others at every opportunity that you get. This is what I believe, but is it how I live? If you were to look at my day-to-day life, I don’t think this is what you would see. You would see that I believe in myself. I believe in working out. I believe in most of the time doing what I want to do first, before doing things for others. How different would my every day life be if I were to live for what I believed? How different would the world be if we all lived for what we believe? It is a lot harder, a lot less accepted to live for the things that I believe. The world understands living for yourself, living for working out, living for putting food on the table and a roof over your head, living for your future and your dreams. It is much less accepted to live for God, to live for others before yourself, to live for loving others- truly, genuinely loving others- even those that harm you. From here on out I need to start living for what I believe. I need to make a conscious effort to each and every day live my life not for myself, but for God, and for others. I have less than four months left in Malawi. Now would be the perfect time to make a change and show the world what I believe. To show God what I believe. To show you what I believe.

What do you believe? Is it the same as what you live for?



“May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance” 2 Thessalonians 3:5

1 comment:

  1. Something I needed to read :-) I am so happy to hear about what God is doing in your life!

    ReplyDelete